Silent regulators and “cathedral” gongs

1895

A first patent for a silent regulator marked an improvement in the quality of sound produced by repeater watches. This invention was to be supplemented by several inventions, including the use of “cathedral” gongs, so named because their length generated a deeper sound and amplified their resonance. Today Jaeger-LeCoultre still continues on this quest for perfection in sound, notably with articulated hammers to optimise the striking force, and square section cathedral gongs, in secret alloys fixed to the glass.